Monday, March 3, 2014

T minus 1.5 months

Hi!!!

Sorry it has been so long since I last posted, but I wanted to get through the last two months before I posted again.  As you know I was home form Christmas break, and it was just what I needed.  Although, having to leave home – again – was very difficult.  I flew back to Lithuania on the 30th of December, and the next day was right back at it.  It took me about two weeks to adjust to the time change.  I have officially been in Europe for five months!!!! And I have a month-and-a-half left, which is crazy to think about!!

We have been playing a lot of games and traveling over the past two months.  I traveled to Spain, Russia and Turkey, which are all awesome countries.  Spain and Turkey were beautiful.  I would love to play in Spain. The only problem is that I’m not sure I would ever come home if I went – that’s how spectacular it was.  We visited Salamanca, which is a very old and “romantic” looking historic city.  I did not get to see a lot of Russia.  The only thing I have to say about Russia is everything is HUGE.  As my roommate likes to say, "dramatic."  The buildings are ginormous.  It's almost as if they are trying to make a statement: "Hey, we are big and powerful."  So, yeah, that's what I took away from Russia.  Turkey was interesting.  We were in Istanbul.  I got to see the Black Sea and Blue Mosque.  As my teammates and I were walking around the city, there had to be about 30 people who stopped to ask if we play basketball.  I said I was going to make a sign that said “yes” and wear it on my shirt and point to it as I passed by people (only if they asked if I played basketball, of course).  The people in Turkey were extremely friendly and warm.  Everyone we saw wanted to stop and speak with us.  Out of the 6 countries I have visited thus far, my favorites have been Spain and Croatia.  Both are very beautiful and the people made you feel welcomed. 

We finished up our Euro-League season last week in Turkey. We played against a lot of great teams and players, and I am thankful to have played against some of the best competition because it has helped me grow as a player and has motivated me to be an even better player.  So I have new goals in mind moving forward. 

We are currently playing in the Lithuanian League still, and just recently joined Baltic League which consists of a team from Sweden, Estonia, and Belarus.  The playoffs for the Baltic League, I believe, are near the end of March.  The playoffs for the Lithuanian League are mid-April.  Then I AM HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Truthfully, I will be sad when I leave.  The first three months here were brutal.  I told myself I was never coming back, and I could not do it.  But my mom always told me "anything new you must try for at least 6 months to determine if it’s for you or not."  Well, like always, she was right, haha. Maybe not always, but nine out of 10 times she is ;).  The end of the fourth month things got a lot easier.  I started to enjoy basketball more and I started to get closer with the girls on the team. And the fifth month was a breeze. I didn't get upset once or have thoughts about leaving.  Of course I always miss home and my family and friends but I am adjusted and I have chosen to enjoy my time here and not take it for granted.

People ask me what I have been doing for fun......watch tv shows. Haha.  Truthfully, I did most of the site-seeing in Lithuania the first couple months I was here, and when I am not playing basketball I am tired and want to lay around.  We also travel a lot, and seeing other countries is very exciting.  Being able to see different cultures and how people live is very enlightening.  Also, my roommate and I have gotten close to a Lithuanian family who lives in our building.  They come to our games and they also had us over for a home-cooked Lithuanian meal.  It was amazing.  Soon we are going back over to help them prepare dinner together.  They are going to teach us how to make a national dish for when we return home. 

Well, I will be home in less than 60 days,  I think it's like 55 days, something like that.  So get ready :)

BYE!

ps. I can count to 100 in Lithuanian!

3 comments:

  1. Are there any chances to see you playing in Lithuania next season? I've seen only one euroleague match with you, which was very exiting :). It would be great to see more of those :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've meant "exciting", not "exiting" :)

      Delete
  2. Found this blog completely by accident. Best of luck in your career!

    ReplyDelete